Recipe for Corn Fritters
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 9 (2 fritters per person)
2 cups fresh cut corn kernels (approximately 3 ears) or frozen
3 Tablespoons chopped chives
1 large egg, beaten
1 Tablespoon honey
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons finely ground yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
3 large egg whites
4 - 5 Tablespoons canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 200°F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine corn kernels, chives, whole egg, honey, flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the 3 egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Don't over beat or the whites will be hard to fold into the corn mixture.
4. Gently fold the beaten whites into the corn mixture.
5. Add 1 Tablespoon oil to a medium non-stick sauté pan over medium low heat.
6. Once the oil is hot, drop a heaping Tablespoon of the batter for each fritter, flattening out a bit. Make batches of 3 fritters at a time. Sauté for approximately 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Use a flexible metal spatula to flip the fritters. Add more oil as necessary.
7. Transfer finished fritters to a rack set over a cookie sheet and hold in the oven until all the batches are done.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Lifestyle Headlines
A wild animal's natural instinct is to steer clear of humans, but when a fox cub somehow got its head hopelessly stuck inside a glass jar, there seemed to be no other option than to seek a helping pair of human hands.